Monday 6 June 2011

FASHION ICON: ALICE GLASS.

A few years back I came across the band Crystal Castles and instantly fell inlove with their quite chaotic style of electro music. I can honestly say that I had heard nothing like them ever before and I was soon listening to their music none stop on their myspace page. It was actually on their myspace page that I had my first glace at all the bands pictures and artwork for album covers and EPs.


To me the music was all about being young, reckless and quite frankly, not giving a fuck. At the age of 14 I was convinced that this was the height of all things deemed cool and so I began to use Alice Glass (the vocalist) as my fashion icon.



My fist act of capturing Alices style: purchase a pencil skirt. Luckily I did not have to blow the bank as I managed to find one in primark for under £10! I then work this with coloured tights and converse sneakers.


On top I usually wore a band top or a t-shirt with some form of motif. My favourite was a white t with one of banksy's designs on the front that I got from Manchester in an alternative store called Aflex Palace. (Aflex is actually a really awesome store and if you are ever in Manc then you should deffo check it out!) I would then tuck my skirt into my skirt and add a gold belt that I got from Urban Outfitters. I loved that belt as it was metal and had a horse design as the clasp!


My next buy was a leather jacket that I got from Dorothy Perkins for about £40! I really liked the jacket and I still wear it sometimes because it is quite a classic item. However, on some extra cold days I would wear my coat (which was longish and black and slightly remebled the one that Alice wears in some of her pictures) This was from Newlook and origionally had belt loop- but I cut them off!


Admittedly I must have looked quite odd. While most girls were in floral dresses and cute tops I was opting for a more grunge look; teaming old cardigans and band tops with pencil skirts and laddered tights. I didn't care if my clothes were dirty- it added to the look! And yet, I am not ashamed of what I used to wear! Infact my style is still influenced by Alice.

If you havn't already you should go and check out crystal castles! you can find their songs on youtube or visit their myspace page : www.myspace.com/crystalcastles

No comments:

Post a Comment